Citizens of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) need only valid travel documents, i.e. passports or identity cards to come to Latvia.
Non-EU nationals have to check if they need a visa to enter Latvia. The visa validity period depends on each specific case. Technically, with a valid visa you can stay in Latvia for up to 90 days. If students from outside EU come for a longer period than 90 days, they must apply for a residence permit in a Latvian Embassy abroad. Please note that it may take up to several weeks to obtain a visa or a residence permit. Therefore application procedures should be started as early as possible.
If you need visa, please consult higher education institution's admission office and/or the Latvian Embassy in your country or region to learn what procedures you should undergo and what documents you need to submit. However, the university you are applying for, can also consult you on visa issue.
In order to study in Latvia Students who are willing to apply for studies should be aware that before proceeding with the application process /signing the agreement/applying for the residence permit the documents, the admission office of the chosen university will send your Education documents for verification (recognition).
Admission office of the chosen university will assist you during the application process and will inform you about the requirements for application for studies!
Any questions concerning application process should be addresed to universities!
Important information about residence permit:
Go through the checklist before going to the Embassy of Latvia responsible for your region or Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs:
- Completed application form: http://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services/residence-permits/applications.html
- Copy of passport (original must be presented, applying in person)
- Copy of study agreement with the university (original must be presented)
- Copy of Education/ Degree Certificate or Diploma and Transcripts of records/marks (originals must be presented and originals shall be legalized with APOSTILLE, if applicable)
- Copy of academic recognition of foreign qualification (sent by receiving university)
- Proof of study fee payment (provided by receiving university)
- A statement on punishability issued by a competent institution of the citizenship or the host country (legalized with APOSTILLE, if applicable)
- Bank statement that confirms sufficient financial means or living expenses for staying in Latvia during the validity period of the residence permit (it equals to 430 EUR/per month)
- Rental agreement or guarantee letter from university about the perspective place of residence
- Statement on fluorography or x-ray examining results (upon arrival in Riga)
- Health insurance for the whole validity period of the residence permit (upon arrival in Riga)
Information about Health Insurance